Monday, December 07, 2009

Crunching the Numbers

After running for four months with my Garmin 305, I finally installed the device's software and uploaded a season's worth of runs onto my computer.

One thing I've realized: I usually don't wait long enough for the satellites to pick up my Garmin before I start running. I'm not exactly a patient person, alas. Garmin doesn't start tracking my run until after I've already logged a half-mile. Which means that Garmin undertracks my mileage.That also means that the first mile of my runs read abnormally slow: 13 to 14:00/mile instead of 9:30/mile or so.

Does this happen to anyone else?

2 comments:

  1. I start my watch before I put my shoes and outer gear on - just stick it on the window sill so it finds the satellites. The important part for me to remember is to actually press 'start' and then look to make sure it really started. Oh, and to save the previous run before I start a new one. Heh. Not many brain cells at O'dark early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diana - I started doing that yesterday. Works great!

    ReplyDelete